Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Monster Mash

One of my favorite parts of the holiday is the music. Some people think Halloween music is hard to come by. I would argue that, if you listen, there's Halloween music everywhere. Michael Jackson's Thriller is clearly one of the best, and there's no way you can possibly argue that's not what that song was meant for. And Werewolves of London? Did they ever play that on the radio when it wasn't Halloween? And "Feed My Frankenstein"? When the hell else are you gonna listen to that? What about the "One Eyed, One Horned Flying Purple People Eater"? Think he thought that one up for Arbor Day? I don't think so.

For me personally I can't hear Stevie Wonder's "Superstitious" without thinking of Halloween. And good 'ol "Love Potion #9". And "They're Coming To Take Me Away" and "I was a Teenage Monster" and "I put A Spell On You" and "Abracadabra" and "Psycho Killer" and "Tubular Bells" and "Highway to Hell" and... it goes on and on. But my personal favorite? Monster Mash. Monster Mash may be my favorite song ever. Seriously.

I think because it is the single best known song of my favorite holiday and every single time I hear it I picture a bunch of monsters shakin' their groove thangs. There's a whole little animated mini-movie I can picture in my head- Dracula shaking his fist out of anger over the loss of his beloved Transylvania Twist, the zombies having fun along with wolfman and the crew, the crypt kicker five jamming all night long. I love it.

And I love the rest of the music that goes along with this awesome holiday. And I think there should be radio stations completely devoted to playing Halloween music throughout the month of October much the same way that massive amounts of radio stations morph into Christmas song brainwashing frequencies on November 1st. It's be a much better way to spend royalty money.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I will love it and hug it and pet it and call it George. Or, you know, just read and reply to it. But still- you rock!