Pages

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Office Life/The Daily Grind

The faster the keys click under my fingers the closer I get to finishing the note. My heart swells with a small sense of productivity as I listen to the rapid clacking of the keyboard. But then there’s the pause. Part of it is thinking- what do I want to say, which descriptor is best? But part of it is fear- the keys have stopped. Am I stuck? Will I get distracted yet again? Will this brief wave of exertion run out only to be immediately replaced by the inevitable half-dazed, paralyzed state of staring-off-into-space where I will dwell indefinitely until finally giving up and leaving early? Self-hatred rears its ugly head and is immediately attacked by that hopeful voice that tells me to shut the hell up and get back to work. So I do.

1 comment:

  1. Believe me, I understand. I really want to write a book about ignoring children (not as a practice but as an observation of reality and ways to possibly change it) and I wonder about my own sanity and my own ability to even perform such a monumentous task. :) I support you in your writing! Keep it up, chica!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I will love it and hug it and pet it and call it George. Or, you know, just read and reply to it. But still- you rock!