Pages

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Monster Madness Day 2

 
Thanks to our lovely hosts Annie Walls, Little Gothic Horrors and Wicked Ways Productions

Everyday I'm featuring one of my favorite monsters and today is mummies.  The original undeadcame around, decayed and shambling, long before zombies graced the silver screen.  This first mummy, played by the epic Boris Karloff (famous for his portrayal of monsters), first appeared in 1932 and set the tone for what would become a classic monster.
This movie had it all- horror, suspense, action and romance.  The dark cavernous interior of the pyramids, the hieroglyphics promising ominous curses to all those who enter, the robbers who defy them by disturbing the tombs.  It's become a classic setting for many tales since and awakened the imaginations of all those who love the things that go bump in the night.

But beyond all that, the classic was, at its heart, a romance.  A love story that defied death itself and dared the viewer to dream of passion beyond the life span.  It's an idea that made you root for the monster and that's the best way to feel about a monster.

Once again, check out the others on the list by and check back tomorrow for more monsters.

9 comments:

  1. Hee hee A Mummy for Mother's Day! ;)
    Good choice! I'm doing something similar but with literary characters! Yay!
    Stopping by with my MMM'S Carmen Jenner Author and Book Me!
    Happy Hopping! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mummy always freaked me out too... but I loved it. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've long been interested in the serious and not so serious side to Egyptology and I have a fondness for mummy movies, old and new, plus there are a few good horror stories involving mummies as well. I have to say, my favourite mummy movie is the 'remake' with Brendan Fraser and Arnold Vosloo, where Imhotep's priests hark back to those shuffling, scary mummies. They never fail to give me the creeps when they walk out of the wall and burst through the floor.

    Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I think this is the first mummy post I've come across so far in MMM! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your so right, there was always romance at the heart of the Mummy movie. They never really scared me too much thank goodness! Here's my day II MMM at Design du Jour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've actually never seen this movie! I need to add it to my queue, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The classics have a scary taste that the new and flashier special effects can't touch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's funny how much romance was in these old Mummy Movies, cool post mate!
    Here's my day III MMM at Design du Jour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can only of funny movies and TV episodes when I think of mummies. They are so perfect for comedy. :)

    MMM on Kristen's blog, Day 2: The Toe Kick Monster

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I will love it and hug it and pet it and call it George. Or, you know, just read and reply to it. But still- you rock!