Pages

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Liebsters 2 and 3

It wasn't long ago that I'd read someone else's blog and see how excited they were about receiving a Liebster and wonder "How the hell does someone get one of those things?"  The answer was the same as with many other questions in blogging: just connect.  It's been an ongoing theme around here.

So it's no surprise that not too long after receiving my first Liebster I got nominated for another by the lovely Bhavya at Just Another Blog.  Bhavya is a new blogging buddy I made via the A to Z challenge who, BTW, wrote a kick-ass serial for the challenge which you should totally check out.
Then a couple days ago I got another message from Julia over at Along the way with Julia letting me know that she, too, had nominated me.  My head is spinning.  Well, partially because of this and partially from the cold medicine I took not too long ago.  Strep throat = bad for blogging.

At any rate, for those of you new to the Liebster (is there anyone who's still new to this?) I'll briefly go over the rules. 
1)  Thank the person who gave it to you (which is common courtesy, really)
2) Post 11 random facts about yourself
3) Answer 11 random questions from the person who nominated you and
4) Pass the award on to 11 other bloggers with less then 200 followers (cause this award is all about getting people connected to great blogs)

So here we go!  First, my most sincere gratitude to both Bhavya and Julia for nominating me.  Please go see their blogs, read their stories, and let them know that you know how cool they are!

Now, rather than expose you all to 22 random facts about me I'm going to skip to the question answering.  And, in order to keep this post a decent length, I'm combining my two sets of questions for a total of 11.

From Bhavya: 
What is the weirdest nickname that was ever given to you?
I've been called a lot of things over the years, most of which involve the first part of my name- Bev.  It fits nicely into a lot of names: Bevimus (my Twitter nickname, a gift from my friend in The Roman Empire class in college).  Beve (cause I used to have a massive crush on Neve Campbell).  Beverage (just cause).  The weirdest, I think, is Beaver.  It was originally given to me as an insult by some mean kids in school cause I had buck teeth and a massive overbite (before I got my braces).  It's weird that I not only kept it, but that it became the nickname of choice for my two best friends to call me.  Every note that was ever passed to me in middle school was labeled "Beaver".  From insult to term of endearment.  Weird.

You wake up in the morning to find that your head is missing.  React.  (Best. Question. EVER!)
I hate to be so obvious, but I'm gonna go ahead and say that I would run around like a chicken, you know the ones- headless.  I use this expression a lot, here it would actually fit.

What movie/fictional character comes close to describing you?
Used to be Andrew Largeman from Garden State cause I felt lost for such a long period of my life.  Now I'm not sure, but I'm certainty glad to have found home.

If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?
This is selfish, but the ease with which strep throat is spread.

What is your pet peeve?
Geez, I can only pick one?  Alright, lets go with people who don't know how to use their turn signals.  They drive me crazy and there's a lot of them about.

From Julia:
Do you have any pets?  If so, what?
My dog Buddy.  Cutest thing ever.  Seriously- look at that face and just try to argue there's something cuter.  You can't.  He makes every single day of my life better just by being him.

How long have you been blogging?
Going on 5 years now, but it's only recently that people started to discover it.  I'm pretty damned excited.

If you were a superhero, who would you be and why?
Superman, hands down.  I'm not into the whole tragic love story and and I'm glad that I'm not as socially awkward as Clark Kent anymore but the flying thing- that cinches it.  Seems like he spends a decent amount of time just flying around.  I can't imagine a greater thrill in existence than flying.

Name something that is unusual about you.
Again, just one?  How about... I talk to myself out loud.  Usually when I'm stressed out.  Earns me a lot of strange looks when I'm walking through the parking lot, which is about when I realize that I'm doing it.

If you could spend the night in a haunted house, would you?
Part of me wants to say "Helly yeah!" because of my absurd fondness for horror movies.  But another part of me thinks that maybe the girl who screams at least once in every horror movie (even the really bad ones) probably shouldn't be exposed to real ghosts.

What's your favorite thing to eat?
Ice cream.  I am literally killing myself - very, very slowly- with ice cream.  Worth it.

And now, the nominees!

Sally over at Sally's Scribbles who kicked ass in the A to Z challenge and is absurdly sweet.
Suze at Subliminal Coffee who cracks me up every time I read her.
Yolanda Renee at
Defending The Pen who will teach you everything you could possibly want to know about Margaret Mitchell.
Sharon at
Hope and Dreams who blogs for a great cause.

Deanie at Thoughts and Ideas who braves the world of children's literature and has great advice for writers.
Sam over at writerlysam who did an amazing serial set in ancient greece.
Diane at In My Own Words who lets us view her life through her posts.
Netablogs over at
Rabbit Trails who allowed us to explore her book shelf during the challenge.
Kristen at
Random Musing from the KristenHead who's blogging everyday in May after rocking April.
M.J. at
Effectively Human who managed to keep up with the challenge on multiple blogs simultaneously.

Ida at Reflex Reactions who's active both in the A to Z and May challenges.

And their questions:
WHERE WERE YOU BORN?
WHERE ARE YOU LIVING NOW?
IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE?
LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED?

WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING NOW?
THE POWER GOES OUT.  IT WILL BE OUT FOR SEVERAL HOURS.  WHAT DO YOU DO WITH YOURSELF?
WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
GREATEST STRUGGLE AS A WRITER?
WHAT IS THE ONE BOOK YOU THINK EVERYONE SHOULD READ?
IF YOU COULD BE ONE OF THE GREEK GODS WHO WOULD YOU BE AND WHY?
WEIRDEST THING YOU'VE EVER BEEN TOLD BY A FORTUNE COOKIE?

Thanks to you all for stopping by!  Now please keep the love going by checking out the awesome people who nominated me and the new nominees!

20 comments:

  1. Your dog is super adorable!

    Congrats on your award! It is well-deserved :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved all your answers, especially the one about nicknames. You shared a piece of yourself with us, and thank you for taking the time out to do so.

    Hope your throat feels better soon :)
    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for giving me this! You rock!!!

      Delete
  3. Hey Bev,

    Thanks for sharing those fun facts and I swear if I ever have a daughter I'm calling her Beverage (that was *too* funny:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you got a laugh out of it, Mark!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the Liebsters. Your dog is adorable. We share the same pet peeve, man, it just kills me how people don't use turn signals. I bike a lot and they turn left right in front of me without a signal and look at me like "how dare you make me almost hit you, aren't you psychic?" Glad your blog is finally getting some readers. I love you you worked your name into the title, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked 'Beverage,' too. That's a great nick for a Bev! I know another Bev whose nickname was/is Vebs.

    Also, I'd spend the night in a 'haunted' house. Think it would provide tons of fodder for writing, after. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha. Also, thank you for passing on the award!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Beverly, Thank you so much for the Liebster Award nomination! I can't express how special you are for including me in your selections. However, since I' just got a Liebster Award last week, I'm not sure I should accept another one. I remember seeing the cute little pink ribbon logo on it and at first I thought it was a Lobster Award! How silly is that?
    Best wishes and thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beverly, Here are the rules for the Very Inspirational Blogger Award:The Rules:

    1. Display logo in your blog to show you've been nominated!


    2. Link back to your nominator.


    3. Share 7 things about yourself.


    4. Nominate 15 other bloggers for the award.


    5. Notify your nominees.
    Now you won't have to look for them on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Beverley, for passing on the award and explaining the rules. I've just started my blog and hadn't come across a Leibster before. I love your answers, and Buddy is just wonderful... I'll post my answers as soon as I can. I've quite a few Charity Anthologies to get in the post which I'll need to do first. If anyone else would like a copy of the Anthology please visit my blog. I'm raising funds to buy bread for the children in Tanzania. Thanks again, Beverley x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beverly, I'm going to accept your award. You were kind enough to nominate me and I'm grateful to you for thinking of me. I'm going to start working on it this afternoon. I hope I can conjure up eleven more things about me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Beverly!

    I am so honored, truly. It's lovely to know you enjoyed the Margaret Mitchell posts. I enjoyed the challenge.

    I'm with you on the turn signal thing, my husband is the worst and, well, I've tried and can't break him of the habit. I just shut my eyes and wait for the crash. :)

    I will let you know when the post goes up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations and thank you Beverly, I love your beaver story, they are such good builders and one of my favourite animals. I was shocked to see so many people talking to themselves (and singing) when I was in America 14 years ago, but just today I was out shopping and said "They've changed all the aisles, the breads over there, where's the coffee? " and I was all alone, and then I whispered "they're gonna think I'm crazy!" Should I be worried? :D. i will accept your award and let you know when it's ready ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Many thanks, Beverly, for the shout out - I appreciate it! Hope you're on the mend *so you can eat more ice cream* You're a fantastic writer - keep going strong:)
    Cheers!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for the award, Beverly. It took a while, but I finally found time to make my post accepting it. http://effectivelyhuman.blogspot.com/2013/05/liebster-award-time-sharing-love.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much! I was going to try to do the awards this weekend, but I may have to wait just a bit more. I'll try to do it tomorrow. Possibly tonight if I can manage it. Loved your answers by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I will love it and hug it and pet it and call it George. Or, you know, just read and reply to it. But still- you rock!