Pages

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Insecure Writer's Support Group- December Edition

As always, a big, GIANT THANK YOU to the wonderful creator of this fantastic share: Mr. Alex J Cavanaugh!  And an equally energetic thanks to this months' co-hosts Julie Flanders, Heather Gardner, Kim Van Sickler, and Elsie is Writing.   Make sure you stop by and say hi to all our wonderful hosts!
Well, it's the last month of the year and I've been thinking a lot about my goals for 2014.  They're pretty lofty.  I want to (in no particular order): edit my NaNo novel- like really, seriously edit.  Like, maybe someday I'll actually ask someone to read the thing kind-of edit.  I know you veteran writers may be a little appalled to learn that I've never done that before.  And you'll also, undoubtedly, encourage me to just get on wih it already because geez how can you call yourself a writer when you've never even edited one of your novels?  Don't you know that's what writing is?!?  Or maybe that's the voice in my own head.  Either way, it needs to happen.

On non-writing related fronts I also plan to compete in my first tournament in January (nerves, much?) and I will continue to manage the tournament team which means booking hotels, arrainging travel plans, communicating with tournament hosts, registering competitors and all the rest.  And, as if all that weren't enough, I've got my 3rd Dan black belt test to train for!  *scared face*

Not to mention that I believe there is a pretty high probability that I'm going to get this job I want so much (more on that when I get the call) and new and exciting also means challenging and very, very time consuming.  My schedule would flip-flop to a certain extent and it would test the limits of my time managment skills in the beginning as I adapt and try to form a new routine.

All-in-all, there's a lot on my plate.  It's all good, exciting, wonderful stuff but it's also all very challenging.  And of course, I have to wonder, will I get it all done?  Will I be able to manage my day and fit in everything?  How on earth am I going to meet all these goals?

I have a huge capacity for loafing and when left to my own devices can while away the hours without accomplishing anything of note.  To not fall into that trap, and even more to set small, realistic, attainable goals for myself everyday and actually accomplish them everyday is a BIG challenge.

But I'd like to believe that I am up for such a challenge.  I'd like to believe that my committment to all of these things is strong enough that I will make the time, rise above and find my new stride. 

I look to some of my friends in bloggerdom for inspiration: those of you juggling full time jobs and children and book tours and marketing and blog hops and volunteer activites at animal shelters or food pantries and drafting new stories and participating in things like this to support and promote other authors.  You guys absoltuely astound me.  And I would love to be able to astound myself.  Here's hoping.

Thanks again to all the wonderful co-hosts and blogges out there who participate in the fantastic hop around the world of writerly support.  Now hop along and spread the love! 

17 comments:

  1. I'm a loafer as well! (As opposed to a sneaker.)
    You will manage. And what you don't, it will be all right.
    Hope you get that call!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bev!
    You DEFINITELY have a lot on your plate... BUT...
    You can do it! I know you can!
    Good luck with the tournament next month.
    And good luck with the new job... *fingers crossed*
    (Check out the contest at the IWSG website. There are 2 awesome packages up for grabs, which includes ms critique...)
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Distractions, whether enjoyable or ho-hum certainly cause trouble. Don't listen to the voices in your head. They don't know anything.

    Good luck with all the stuff going on! Sounds fabulous - and we hope to hear about the job!

    Diana at About Myself By Myself

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    Just visiting as part of ISWG day. I think you are quite amazing. When do you sleep? All the best with your challenges for 2014. Yes, I can also loaf with the best of them, so I understand. Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Editing the NaNo novel is a good goal. Hope you get a lot of things accomplished in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely think you're up to the challenge! I have a feeling 2014 is going to totally rock for you. And I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed that you get that job you want so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are definitely up for the challenges! Just try not to be too hard on yourself. Recognize when you do achieve something and also when to maybe let something go altogether or just back burner it for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with conquering those goals! I'm so impressed with everyone who buckled down to write 50K words for NaNo. You obviously can focus and knock out tasks when pressed. And that is the key. Nothing wrong with loafing to reward yourself for a job well done.
    December IWSG co-host

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are some plans! I am wishing you the best of luck with it all. 2014 is yours to cease. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your plate is really full and likely to become fuller. I love full plates and I think you do, too. Here's to your success in tackling every one of those challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a lot going on, but you can totally do it. Even if you don't get to it all, the important part is that you will be giving it your best shot. Sometimes, having different things to do actually helps us to focus more. There's never time to question yourself too much or to burn out from one individual thing. Best of luck with it all :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are astounding, never forget that. I wish you well for all your exciting adventures and plans for 2014, and I've still got everything crossed for the awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As a lofty goal setter myself, there's not point in setting them if you don't have to work a bit for them. And, you will appreciate the finished product so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with you on the editing; I've never edited a novel before. I've edited short stories I've written, but never the novels. I'll be starting edits on my NaNo novel in January, and I think I'm equal parts nervous and excited.
    Good luck with everything you've got going on!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck with your goals for 2014. You can do it and IWSG will be here to cheer you on. =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love lofty goals--it's what keeps us on our toes. Go for it all! Editing is highly overrated, you're not missing anything:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. One step at a time... You can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I will love it and hug it and pet it and call it George. Or, you know, just read and reply to it. But still- you rock!