Pages

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Write Club- the Clock is Ticking

So, I know that you all already know about the hard core competition that D. L. Hammons came up with, right?  The one where 32 writers will go head to head in twice weekly bouts?  The one where you get to choose an awesome pen name and watch your story fight it out without fear of exposure?  The one that has a cut-off date to enter in only five days?!?  In case you don't, please go here immediately and read all about it. 

I'm signed up to read and very excited about it but also planned to enter the ring- which is where I got stuck.  "Wait-" the inner critic jumps.  "You mean you actually want to enter your story to see if it would win?  Yeah right!  You wouldn't even make it into the first round of 32!"  And the (sometimes) small voice that defends me falters, believing those poisonous words.

Posting here is one thing.  It's my blog, there's no one else around writing fiction and poetry.  And if a piece doesn't fly I don't give myself time to wallow cause I push on to the next post.  But a competition?  One where my writing will be directly compared to other writers- ones who are actually talented?  Well that's a whole other ball game.

Or is it?  I've had a motto which has been working pretty well for me around here.  "Do it anyway"  (And now, if you're a Ben Folds Five fan like me, you've got that song stuck in your head, right?  You're welcome!)  I've talked about how it works for me before and without repeating myself too much I'm gonna talk about it again.

I don't really believe that I can do any of the stuff that I do on here.  I can't do flash fiction, I can't write poetry and I certainly can't expose myself to the world.  And yet, I do it anyway.  And every single time I do I get rewarded for my bravery.  And those are some hard facts my inner critic can't argue with.

So I know that I can't win Write Club.  Heck, I know I can't even get picked to start the first round cause I know that nothing I write will be good enough.  But i'm gonna write anyway and enter it anyway.  Cause regardless of whether or not my piece does well in the comeption, it'll be a solid win against that pesky inner critic of mine.

I hope you all choose to participate cause I expect it's gonna be a ball.  Plus, you still got five days to get that piece written...

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Will do, Alex! And knowing you'll be judging makes me all the more eager.

      Delete
  2. Yes, go for it!!
    We're always so hard on ourselves, aren't we? I'm so glad you're going to do anyway. That's something I need to learn to do.

    Next time. Lol! Short stories are weak for me. Flash fiction is even worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you know how they're going to get better... ^_^

      Delete
  3. Go Beverly! You're so much braver than I am! You'll surprise yourself for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay WriteClub! Do it! DL is awesome and I always enjoy reading the entries! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you're entering--I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You never know what is in store for you. I entered a writing contest recently n guess what?! I won :D
    If I can do it, I'm sure you can too :) All the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck, Bev! I hope this helps nudge your inner critic to something more useful. You already know you can do several of the things it says you can't.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I will love it and hug it and pet it and call it George. Or, you know, just read and reply to it. But still- you rock!