Pages

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving

I’d like to think that I practice gratitude on a daily basis but honestly, I haven’t paid enough attention to know that definitively.  Taking things for granted is, I think, a state that one slips into whenever one isn’t paying attention.  When you’re not putting conscious energy into acknowledging things it’s easy to fall into that trap.  Which is why people put so much effort into trying to remind others of the actual purpose of days like today.

I know, unequivocally, that I have a lot in my life to be grateful for.  And I know that I am more aware of that fact now than I ever have been.  I’d like to conclude from this that my regular state of gratitude and my ability to be grateful for everyone and everything in my life is growing as I age.  Of course I can’t know that for sure.   But it seems like there is reason to suspect it.  Because I know that the little moments that make up gratitude- saying I love you, choosing not to complain, answering 'How’s it going?’ with 'Pretty good, all things considered'- happen pretty damned frequently in my life.  And I am grateful for that.
I am also grateful for having gotten out a little over 3k words today and being only 6k and change away from my goal for this month.  Definitely giving thanks for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I will love it and hug it and pet it and call it George. Or, you know, just read and reply to it. But still- you rock!