Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Halfway to 50k!

So, at the end of the day, I’ve crossed the halfway point with 25,350 words. It’s not the 5k day I wanted, but it’s something. And ultimately I’m still ahead of where I need to be so that’s what matters.

Story wise (at this precise moment) I am having my MC describe the last time she fought big bad, right on the eve of fighting him in the keystone battle royal of my story arc. It is not coming easily. The words are not, ahem, flowing. All the videos I’ve been watching on you tube will tell me to skip past this part and go to the next phase of the story I actually think I can write. I’m not entirely sure how to force myself to do that, I’m more inclined to suffer through it. Having never edited one of these novels yet I can’t say whether or not it would be more or less productive to write something I hate or nothing at all. But for now that doesn’t matter.

What matters is pushing forward, one way or another, and just getting the story out. I think it’s going to be very important for me to not edit AT ALL- not one single word. Because my internal critic does not like what I’m writing and, unless kept under constant lock down, it will wreak havoc on my word document. I have to constantly remind myself that I’m doing this in order to suck so if it ends being terrible that’s not only ok, it’s good. If I can get through another 25k words, sucky or wonderful and everything in between, then this is gonna be one seriously worthwhile experience.

1 comment:

Thank you for your comment! I will love it and hug it and pet it and call it George. Or, you know, just read and reply to it. But still- you rock!