Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

LtLM Vol Five- Enthusiasm

I don’t get apathy.  Not caring, being bored, saying “whatever”- I don’t understand it.  Don’t get me wrong, when I was going through my adolescent rebellion I tried very hard to put on air of detachment, apathy, disdain for those enthusiastic about life.  But I could never keep up the act for long.  No, my natural state is anything but apathetic.

If I like something, chances are I love it.  And if I love it, I will not only happily engage in conversation about how amazingly cool it is but I will probably yell at you if you disagree with me.  If I like something it isn’t “Oh yeah, that’s pretty cool.”  It’s “This is the greatest thing ever!”  You will frequently hear me say “that was the best movie ever!” Or “That’s coolest thing I’ve ever seen!”  I don’t use vague terms to describe the things I like- I’m very direct about it.

On the same token, if I dislike something, I turn in the comic book shop guy from The Simpsons: “Worst.  Movie.  EVER!”  If I don’t like someone I will call them names (I mean actors and other not real-world people.  I don’t call real people names.)  If something is gross it’s “The most disgusting thing ever”.    If something is disturbing I will describe it as having irreparably damaged my soul.  And again, if you disagree with me, I will probably yell at you about it.

No, when it comes to preferences on movies, music or other things pursued in the name of entertainment I don’t do middle ground.  For the most part it’s love it or hate it.  And if I say “Eh” that means hate it, I just don’t care enough to use that language.

The pros of this way of being?  Like I said, it’s hard for me to be bored.  I get energized over stuff I find cool pretty easily and will overindulge if anything.  The cons?  People who don’t get that psyched about stuff don’t get me.  But, as already mentioned, I don’t get them.  So I guess we’re even.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I will love it and hug it and pet it and call it George. Or, you know, just read and reply to it. But still- you rock!