Pages

Saturday, September 12, 2015

The Quiet Days or The Power of a Good Book

It's a quiet sort-of day, the kind built for blankets and books but so rarely spent that way.  Reality demands action: coffee and traffic and e-mailed responses.  Reality doesn't give a damn how wistful you are or just how much the sky reminds you of a foggy moor or a deserted ruin.  Reality just wants you to function like a responsible adult- that term that declares the death of all childhood wonder.

But today, just by virtue of the fact that reality can take tiny breaks during the weekend, there is quiet.  And there are blankets.  And books.  And a small, cinnamon-colored dog curled up on said blankets.  And a candle which smells of lavender and whose small, constant flame can take your mind to much darker, more dangerous places if you let it wander.

Nipping at the corners of thought are the irksome chores that never really get done for long enough to be called "finished".  Garbage to take out, showers to scrub, the general pick-up of endless items moved out place and needing to be restored to order.  But the words are more powerful and pull you into that soft lullaby where memory and fantasy dilute the vision of sharp, uncaring reality.  

You float away in it, wrapped in the comfort of paper pages under finger and firm canvas bound cardboard in hand.  You follow the long, meandering path of crafted thoughts and deeply felt imaginings.  You let the hazy warmth of the candle cocoon you inside the small room- away from details and tasks and effort.  And you thank god for the quiet.

9 comments:

  1. Ah... the power of words... sounds simply divine.
    Enjoy your magical afternoon, Bev.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes you just have to make those moments happen and enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can smell the candle, can reach down and stroke the ears of that cinnamon colored dog, and, closing my eyes, I can wander in my thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was beautifully written! I completely agree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well put! I listen to books on Audible while I'm cleaning and doing other mundane things. Although it doesn't quite compare to relaxing with a good book, I'll admit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you got to lose yourself in a book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG yes . . . I'm totally there with you . . . in my head—darn kids lol. I hope you had a lovely time losing yourself in a book :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love lazy days. I haven't had one in ages and really need one soon. Just a day to sit and read with blankets piled high around me and a cup of coffee in hand. Dreamy! :Glad you got to enjoy one!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  9. you make me want to say, to hell with it all and curl up with a book. Maybe tomorrow, but darn it, that sounded so good the way you described it. Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I will love it and hug it and pet it and call it George. Or, you know, just read and reply to it. But still- you rock!