Pages

Monday, November 1, 2010

NaNoWriMo 2010

And so it begins.
Those of you who know me (which is most of you since I only recently exposed this site in any kind-of public arena) know how big of a deal NaNoWriMo was for me last year. To this day it remains the largest accomplishment I've ever had writing-wise.
Why?  Because I have the most active inner critic of anyone I've ever met in my life- and I've met a lot of people with some pretty damned loud inner critics.  I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that my inner critic could easily contend for the world title.  So shutting that up long enough to produce anything of length is a massive ordeal.
Yet, miraculously, I did it.  I shut it up long enough to pound out over 50k words.  Over 70k words, actually.  And when I did allow myself to go back and look at it I found I still wanted to keep writing. I may even revisit it and try to complete the damned thing some day- how crazy is that?
Needless to say, it was big deal in the life of Bev.  As is this NaNoWriMo.  Now I start fresh with a different story, different genre, different characters, different world, and a different writer.  I can only hope that all of the lessons I learned from last year's experience will be quickly remembered and push me forward in a progressive way.
I'm not hoping to write the next great American novel.  I am completely expecting a giant, steaming pile of you-know-what with a few precious nuggets stuck in like corn kernels.  I'm expecting to make mistakes, to write poorly- to suck, for all intensive purposes.  But my wish is that I will suck in new and different ways by making new and different mistakes.  Because one of the lessons I learned is that that, and not the production of a really good final product, is what growth is all about.
So, without further ado, let the sucking begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I will love it and hug it and pet it and call it George. Or, you know, just read and reply to it. But still- you rock!